Thursday, February 13, 2020

Ready To Die

So, Ready to Die (named after the Andrew WK song) was something I built after getting SUPER HYPED by Wizards and the associated press at the time about Mirari. I wasn't the only one at the time: I remember pre-orders for the card on eBay for $60. Oh, to be new to Magic again...

The Mirari sucked. It cost 5 mana and then it did things, which you had to pay more mana for. That's a terrible card for 60 card Magic.I just didn't know it at the time, and by golly I was going to build that deck!

Let's check this:
4 Catalyst Stone
3 Mirari
2 Eldrazi Monument

1 Mystic Melting

8 Mountain
4 Gruul Turf
11 Forest

2 Pyrotechnics
4 Firebolt
4 Chatter of the Squirrel
4 Roar of the Wurm
2 Hull Breach
2 Overrun
3 Rampant Growth
2 Acorn Harvest
2 Bestial Menace
2 Collective Unconscious
Now, it's entirely possible that I should dismantle this entirely, put Miraris in various Commander decks, and call it a day. My first inclination was to include this in "The Retired" series.

But I had an idea: What if I leaned into the token making aspect and used cards like Cavalcade of Calamity and Raid Bombardment to improve the damage they could do, while Impact Tremors would give me more bang for the buck.

Mirari can stay: being able to copy my token making spells isn't a bad idea and since I've got a clear idea of where to take this, I'm interested in doing so!

If it doesn't work out and isn't fun, I'm more than willing to set it aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment