Tuesday, February 4, 2020

You Gotta Pick A Direction

Time to wrap this up.

Honestly, I like the discard angle more than I like the land destruction angle for control. It's not that Sinkhole is wrong, it's just that I feel better about the ability to focus on discard, than I do about splitting up my resources to do both. Or rather: Sinkhole is for a different deck.

I got in a few games against Lauriel not long ago; I was exhausted, so I was probably not playing my best Magic but I still felt as if I had the right cards in the deck. The games played well and I felt I had room to win, even when I lost.

Trypticon vs Land Tax combo
In further testing, both Bontu's Last Reckoning and the Disk held up well as sideboard options. Combined with discard, Trypticon has enough time to get a Disk into play, something I was concerned about prior to testing. But Jason's suggestion is solid and I'm sticking with it.

It was good enough that I'm taking out the fifth board wipe I had been running, Black Sun's Zenith. There's nothing wrong with BSZ, really, except that if I have a Marit Liege on the table, BSZ will make it smaller. However, there frequently isn't much difference between attacking with a 20/20 and a 17/17, especially in Legacy where players often use their life totals for card selection. The benefit of being able to take out indestructible creatures is nice-but I don't know that it makes up for the utility of the Disk.

I don't want to run four copies of the Disk maindeck; it's too slow for that. But one in my pocket doesn't hurt.

1 Nevinyrral's Disk

4 Vampire Hexmage

4 Dark Depths
3 Bojuka Bog
20 Swamp

3 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage

4 Distress
4 Sign in Blood
2 Mutilate
2 Mire's Toll
2 Aether Snap
3 Read the Bones
2 Beseech the Queen
2 Languish
4 Duress

 Sideboard

SB: 4 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Nevinyrral's Disk
SB: 4 Shrieking Affliction
SB: 2 Bontu's Last Reckoning
SB: 2 Collective Brutality

No comments:

Post a Comment