Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Zendikar Rising Overview

Zendikar Rising: fully spoiled. Release notes, if you want more details on cards. 

So let's talk 'bout it!

General mechanical stuff
Party; the limited mechanic for the set. Because if you have four creatures out in a constructed environment, you're likely already winning and don't need the bonus of the party mechanic. In limited though, the party bonuses are good ways to break stalemates.

So I think it's a novel way to encourage the themes of Zendikar and I dig it. Plus, I'm glad to see an emphasis on the class feature of cards, which offers a whole different field of places to play in; I'd like to see Warrior decks instead of Elves, for example. It feels like an opportunity that I hope WotC follows up on. That each class has its own theme suggests that they might build these things up, and I'm all for it.

Landfall: we know this, we love it. I don't think there was an attempt to do something different but that's OK. 

Kicker: see Landfall. Although I will say that they've taken the lessons from Amonkhet block and started to add cards that play off other cards that use kicker, like Vine Gecko. Another good choice.

Double faced cards: Modal version.
So, these I really like! Which may come as a surprise to long time readers of the blog (all 2 of you) who may recall that I have never liked the double faced cards for a lot of reasons, and the drawback of having to use a proxy card, well that's still there.

However, giving players the option to pick a side and then use only that side gives players real agency over those cards, in addition to making them less fiddly overall. The option to have spells or colors, depending on the card is incredibly important, because it helps solve one of the biggest issues of Magic: Mana flood and color screw, so I give WotC credit for clever design. This is how I hope DFCs are done in the future. Which they probably will be...until Innistrad: Werewolves (ugh).

Still, when you do good, we use the green pen. This is good.

Individual card stuff!

White
Angel of Destiny is a weird card. I'm always glad to see weird cards. I'm sure someone will attempt to break it as soon as they can but if that means weird decks? Good. 

Similarly, Farsight Adept is an interesting place for White card draw to go, and it's a very efficient creature. I do like where cards like Skyclave Apparition and Legion Angel are going. White's been underpowered for a bit, so cards like this make me hopeful that the color is going in a good direction.

Blue
Charix, the Raging Isle is a spicy meatball. Is it anything but a Commander beatstick? I don't know. 

Confounding Conundrum feels like a weird choice for this set; should the anti-lands card be in the 'lands matter' set? Feels like that card should've been in Core 2021, or maybe in the next set. 

Deliberate is going to be one of my new favorite cards. Sure, it's basically an Anticipate but now decks can have Anticipates 4-8!

Skyclave Squid is an odd thing-could it be part of an aggressive strategy? Good on turns 3-5 and then a chump blocker while fliers get the job done? And I wonder if Thieving Skydiver could make waves in Vintage: getting a 2/1 flier and stealing a mana rock for 3 mana is pretty sweet!

Black
Lithoform Blight is a take in Black I would not have expected to see. 

I do want to talk about Mind Carver for a moment, because both Blue and Black have cards that care about how many cards are in a graveyard. That's strange to see in a set that doesn't care about these things. Could these be hints for a future set? They haven't done a graveyard focused set in a bit-Theros: Beyond Death really isn't about the graveyard. Escape cards want to eliminate cards from the graveyard and don't care about the space aside from that. 

But, Kaldheim might care about the graveyard and there is no shortage of Norse and viking myths that care about the afterlife. Just speculating. 

Nullpriest of Oblivion is what I would call one of the ideal kicker cards: it's good early, but in the midgame should you hold it, or wait until you can use the kicker? Questions like that make for good gameplay. 

Taborax, Hope's Demise caught my eye because I have a cleric deck I want to freshen up-if I can. 

Red
OK, let's just admit that Expedition Champion has the dumbest sword this side of Final Fantasy 7.

Cleansing Wildfire, though: THAT is a card I am excited about. I really want WotC to push basic lands in this respect. 

Nahiri's Lithoforming is probably destined to be a Commander staple and Roiling Vortex a sideboard card but good cards to have. But...the color seems relatively straightforward, this set. 

Green
Why is Ashaya, Soul of the Wild so bad? It's a big, dumb creature that doesn't do anything and is at Mythic, for pete's sake. Not that I don't understand why it's a Mythic rare-it's complex so they don't want that kind of complexity screwing with new players. 

But it's so bad. 

Scute Swarm is a weird beast too. I am not convinced by it's ability, but I did read in a thread that it plays nice with the Mutate mechanic from Ikoria. So maybe I'm wrong.

Scale the Heights, though; that is as pretty dang good card. Three mana buys a LOT with that one and I figure it'll be a staple for Green decks. 

Multicolored
This is where I'm seeing a lot of support for the draft themes: B/G +1 counters, RW warriors, UB rogues, that sort of thing. Nothing terrible, nothing to get excited about...except why is Nissa black now? I wonder if the story explains that well. It's not as if we needed a BG Planeswalker; Vraska fits the bill pretty well and Garruk held that torch for awhile, too.

Artifacts & Lands
This trick with having equipment that attaches like Auras is...I get it. But I don't like it, because it eats away at what makes Auras interesting/good. However, gameplay matters more so I won't make a big thing.

Forsaken Monument does something nice; calls back in a neat way to Battle for Zendikar's themes. That gets a thumbs up, for sure.

The lands are fine: the double-faced ones are, I think, great and the ability to choose to either ramp or cast a spell is another very good gameplay tension. I think this is going to have big implications for how we evaluate manabases and I'm excited for it!



No comments:

Post a Comment