Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Until We Lost

Stone Meadows vs UW Taxes
I'm at the rough stage of this deck. 

Lots of losses, questions about card choices, and frustration.

Despite thinking the core idea around this deck is solid, the execution isn't coming together. I'm wondering if this deck should enter The Retired series instead. 

There are two problems. 

First: my threat density is not as high as I wish it was. Phyrexian Dreadnought is just too expensive to buy more copies of yet it's also important to jumpstart my endgame. 

Still, there are enough threats to close games that are on theme. Eater of Days can close games very quickly and at four mana, is about as high on the curve as I want to be. Adding three of these brings my Scary Crittur total to 9, which, combined with the card draw, should be enough to let me put one down pretty regularly.

This brings me to the second point through:

The Achille's heel of this deck is quite clear. Killing the Hushbringer or Tocatli Honor Guard is easy and profitable any time I try to play one of my Scary Critturs. Protecting them is important! However, I don't have Force of Will to do that. 

Well, I have one Force of Will

Maybe that's the trick? Supreme Will (a card I've liked ever since it was printed) a Force and maybe a Rebuff the Wicked. Go low to the ground and lean into the cheap protection spells. It's a place to start and it's better than just being frustrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment