Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Firestarter

Inferno vs a Congregate deck

Two matches in and things look really good. My opponents were impressed with the idea and I won both matches to boot. 

It didn't hurt that my opponents didn't know exactly what I was up to, but after game one it wasn't an edge, either. But I was able to use Magda, Brazen Outlaw to pull out either a Charbelcher or an Akroma's Memorial. So I know this works. 

Now, I got some suggestions and honestly, I felt like brushing them aside because I'm just trying to figure out if this works. Mucking around by trying to add prison cards (when this has an aggro base) or clear sideboard options like Blood Moon just wasn't what I wanted to do.

And then Matt suggested Depala, Pilot Exemplar

Gotta admit, that's a pretty cool idea. Plays into the aggressive nature of the deck and could refill my hand when my opponent takes out Magda-because they absolutely will. 

Adding white seems like a less awesome thing from a manabase perspective, but it would give me a better one drop in Toolcraft Exemplar. Those would be the only two cards to mess with, and with Plateaus and the treasure tokens from Magda, this idea could have legs. Plus, this gives me access to one of the best removal spells: Swords to Plowshares

Unfortunately, Adventures from the Forgotten Realms brought us nothing in terms of Dwarves. That's a pretty big fail, in my opinion. (It also brought us nothing regarding the Party mechanic and how do you miss on that?) 

However, there's another way that I've not been thinking of and it's possible that Universal Automaton is a good card for this deck.


No comments:

Post a Comment