Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Lift Your Arms Up

Serendipity is a thing.

Whenever I'm looking for a card to fill a slot, I usually start with a search for a card at a certain mana value with the word 'draw' in it. After searching each card type at three mana in White for the word 'draw', I decided to look for a planeswalker in Green and White-but I neglected to remove the mana value of three. 

Which is when Huatli, the Sun's Heart came up. Considering how well this fits into Xnoybis' themes, that's a welcome thing to stumble on. Gaining 3 to 10 life can represent anywhere from one to three cards, while also giving me some Doran redudancy. What I'm uncertain about is how many copies I should run. Huatli might be annoying on turn three, but it doesn't win, and while it changes combat math, it doesn't actively change the board. 

I'm not even sure if Huatli is good but it's at least an idea. 

In addition, things have not been going well in testing. I've been playing against aggressive decks, mill decks, and in between stuff, yet nothing has been breaking my way. It's becoming clear that having a 0/3 and a 1/3 on turns one and two aren't great plays unless I can back it up quickly with a Doran effect. Even with Swords to Plowshares to help me remove early threats, things haven't gone well.

I did try swapping out Tamiyo's Safekeeping for Heroic Intervention-the coverage Heroic Intervention provides is clearly a good thing. But the situations when it has felt useful have been limited. 

Truthfully, I'm a little shocked by this. Armageddon is such a blowout card, yet it doesn't seem to matter and that's leaving me a little confused as to what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment