Friday, April 29, 2022

Touch The Sky

(Apologies, I thought I hit publish on this on Thursday!)

I got a game against Matt where I was able to cast both Doomskar and Armageddon with Heroic Intervention backup and I still lost.

That...is demoralizing.

Now, I lost because Matt's deck was utilizing a an axis of intervention that Xnoybis isn't: artifacts. The fix to a matchup like that would be in the sideboard, of course. Which means that once I take this into consideration, I have a deck that was able to wipe the board of what are relevant permanents in 80+% of matches, while keeping mine on the board!

That feels pretty good.

Nevertheless, further testing just did not go well. As much fun as Xnoybis can be it is just too slow and doesn't have enough going for it yet. That's a hard pill to swallow, given the work I put into the deck. 

However, the picture of my last game against Noah helps sum things up. I had Doran out, with the ability to cast Heroic Intervention and completely blank the Phyrexian Dreadnought. I just had nothing for Eater of Days.

Noah's very reasonable question: "Don't any of your treefolk have reach?"

No. No they do not. These are the treefolk with reach, and they all suck.

There's definitely a neat deck here. It's probably a lot of fun to play, but I haven't been introduced to the circumstances where that's the case. My meta just isn't having it-but I'm still keeping the deck. I clearly can do fun stuff with: the ability to triple block a Dreadnought and kill it seems pretty cool! I've pulled off remarkable plays with Xnoybis...but they haven't lead me to closing out games. 

However, I'm taking that information as "this deck is on the cusp of being good" not "this is a wild dragon chase". 

So here's the final list, for now.

4 Timber Protector
4 Treefolk Harbinger
3 Leaf-Crowned Elder
4 Bosk Banneret
3 Unstoppable Ash
2 Doran, the Siege Tower
2 Dauntless Dourbark\

3 Heroic Intervention
1 Swords to Plowshares

5 Plains
4 Murmuring Bosk
1 Temple Garden
1 Savannah
11 Forest
1 Swamp

1 Basri Ket

4 Armageddon
3 Doomskar
3 Dig Up

Sideboard

4 Seeds of Innocence

No comments:

Post a Comment