Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Next Up

Ed. note: this was posted out of order, but it's written up and I am trying to clear some of the back catalog so I can resume a schedule again. So I'm using it, instead of just blowing it up. Sorry!


I suppose it's time to get back on track! I'm going into the wayback machine for this one but: Last time we checked in, I was thinking that this deck needed some revision and  Tipsy and high, I wrote myself a note about what to do with my changes to the War Ensemble deck. 

Agent of the Fates could be in a deck that wants to blink its creatures-Grief, etc-and be happy. Mono B? Prob. no.

That's the note I wrote, anyway.

OK. Why did I mention Grief? Because of this deck that I stumbled across. It's a Modern deck and that's fine. I don't know that anything I'm thinking of would be Legacy deck per se, unless I added in lands that would only be legal in Legacy. 

Hm. Which, actually, might be worth considering, due to cards like Phyrexian Tower. How many copies of that card do I have? Three, as it turns out. I'm as surprised about this as anyone! But hey, I'm not upset to have copies of a $30 card. 

The next question is: Do I already have a deck that wants to work these themes? Because I'm not opposed to building a new deck but if you've followed this blog for awhile, you know that I've got a LOT of decks. Most of them are subpar. C grade wondering if they will ever get called up to the big leagues. 

Don't get me wrong, I like having fun with C grade decks. But I'm also trying to turn a corner and build decks that hew to their vision. Weird decks are fine, so long as they are focused. 

Which is why when my brain was asking: Hey, could this be a blink deck and use effects like Essence Flux

Which, let's face it: is cool. Blue is still an incredibly strong color. 

But the deck I'm taking inspiration from gains bonuses from dies triggers. 

So let's loop back. Do I have a deck that cares about dies triggers? If I do, is it worth updating or should I just start over? 

After a review of my decks, I recognized that there was a series of decks that did mine this theme: W/B. But my W/B decks went in particular directions: there was the Omnitell deck, the Enduring Renewal deck (storm), and the tribal cleric deck. All doing very different things.

Then there was this:

Abominus

3 Adarkar Valkyrie
3 Auramancer
3 Aven Riftwatcher
4 Capashen Unicorn
2 Herald of Serra
4 Pit Keeper
4 Shriekmaw
3 Sheoldred, Whispering One

3 Haunted Crossroads
4 Promise of Bunrei

3 Orzhov Basilica
8 Plains
8 Swamp
4 Isolated Chapel

4 Skulltap

Now we're talking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment