Thursday, April 4, 2013

All Nightmare Long

Because I have so many decks, I tend to focus on 'how does this improve something I have' rather than 'what can I make with this new thing.' Which is why it's good to have friends who don't do this, so they can expose me to new ideas. And once upon a time, I faced a deck that had an 8 point life swing on turn 2. On turn 3, that could be 12, including a 4/4 creature that is difficult to block. That is a hell of a start and it's the deck that Fuz introduced me to, which he called Nip/Tuck.

I called my version All Nightmare Long because I didn't have any decks named after Metallica songs and I should. I'd mentioned a few weeks ago that I built Jetfire in response to a B/W build Fuz had made. This is that B/W deck-or at least my version, after it had been tumble dried through my cranium.
10 Swamp
9 Plains
4 Fetid Heath

4 Dark Ritual
2 Mortify
4 Unmake

4 Blind Hunter
4 Deathbringer Liege
1 Divinity of Pride
4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Nip Gwyllion
3 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Edge of the Divinity

3 Gerrard's Verdict
This deck is very, very aggressive and it seems to be anchored by the Deathbringer Liege. I made that mistake initially, loving this deck so much that I went on to build nine other liege decks. However, this is a Nightsky Mimic deck, which means that any spell that can be black and white should be.

That doesn't mean the Lieges are useless: I kept them in because they double as buffs for my creatures and control of the opponent's. They are the redundancy for both Edge of the Divinity and Unmake/Mortify and have sealed many a matchup that went longer than expected.

Gerrard's Verdict and Tidehollow Sculler was where I branched away from Fuz's design. Discard is too useful to ignore when it can be integrated into an aggro deck, because it provides me the opportunity to short opponents on another front of resources: cards.

With the arrival of Gatecrash, new contributions from the Orzohv guild give me an opportunity to revisit this deck and see how it can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment