Thursday, February 25, 2016

Don't Try To Tell Me My Business

Back when I was talking about my Oath of the Gatewatch impressions, I mentioned how the story just seemed to cut off and lack consequence.

Turns out, I was right. The enemy they've been building up since 2009? They're gone now and all the Planeswalkers who rallied to fight them seem to be just fine.

So I did what you do: Took to Reddit to say that was weak. And someone tried to tell me I was wrong.

It didn't work out well, because of the point of comparison. If the response had been about Age of Ultron, then...well, actually, that point couldn't be made because Age of Ultron felt inconsequential. The characters involved didn't undergo a significant change. It doesn't have to be death but for a story to really be good, consequences must exist and trouble the characters within.

That isn't true for all stories but most of them, certainly. And stories that Magic is telling certainly fall into the 'most of them' camp--they aren't pushing the realm of narrative complexity, here.

What can I say? It's been a slow week.



2 comments:

  1. maybe you need to get some games in so you have something more to write about.

    we should probably make that happen.

    ReplyDelete