Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Overreaction

In a best of three match against stoneforge last night, Karona failed against a Planeswalker superfriends deck in a very, very grindy third game. It was an incredible drag: he couldn't find a win condition that would really bring the game to a close, despite drawing three and then seven cards a turn and every answer I had in my deck  (Purity, Wave of Vitriol, Patriarch's Bidding, March from the Tomb) that might have been answers to his enchantment and artifact enhancers, notably Phyrexian Arena and Rings of Brighthearth, refused to appear.

You know what did show up? Bala Ged Thief.

As a matter of fact, it was the critical game two play that had me losing that game. With a Mortify and Bala in hand, against a board with one Planeswalker and a Doubling Season, I chose to cast Bala. I got a card that meant nothing, stonethorn cast Kiora, the Crashing Wave, +1'd my Bala and from then on was getting 9/9 creatures.

Sigh. What a stupid mistake and it was one I never recovered from.

I don't need to make opponents discard a single card though. I need something else and my first thought? Swap Rout for Merciless Eviction.

Waking up this morning, I recognized how silly that was. There are quite a few Planeswalkers running around Commander but not too many all-Planeswalker decks. And I can run them over if I play smartly.

It's not a bad choice but I certainly don't want to have to use it in place of Rout: exiling my creatures is a horrible idea, since one of my late game win conditions is to recur those creatures.

What's really bothering me is that aside from Mystical Tutor, there isn't a card that will let me get any sorcery that I want. Why is that? There are tutors but they are either in black, to get anything, or have restrictions like Bring to Light or Clutch of the Undercity.

Well, heck with it then. Let's just add in Merciless Eviction!
(Instead of Bala Ged Thief, of course.)





No comments:

Post a Comment