Thursday, January 19, 2017

Overkill

Alright, time to have a little fun. After the oppressive grind of Ironhide I feel like doing something a little more all-in. Named after the song by Motorhead, Overkill is a deck I built after looking at Fist of Suns and thinking: but why isn't anyone using THAT?
2 Island
14 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Swamp 
4 Maelstrom Archangel
1 It That Betrays
2 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
2 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Emrakul, the Promised End 
4 Harrow 
4 Prismatic Omen 
4 Ancient Stirrings
2 Seek the Wilds
2 Show and Tell
4 Insist 
4 Fist of Suns
1 Chromatic Lantern

Maelstrom Archangel is my redundancy card, along with the only copies of Show and Tell that I own. It doesn't happen often but when it does, Show and Tell ends games swiftly.

I'll just come clean though: I didn't name this deck Overkill (which also has the rare distinction of being a Transformer, too) so I could drop Colossus of Akros, Jokulmorder, or Krosan Cloudscraper. This deck might be good with dicking around but there's a point where I don't want to be dicking around anymore. It's cute to cast Etched Monstrosity but it's also laughable.

No. If I'm spending five turns trying to get set up so I can cast any spell I want for the rainbow, crush 'em.

Early versions of this deck ran copies of Joiner Adept as a way to provide redundancy on Prismatic Omen, but the creature was just too fragile. The mana base is still tricky, since it has to be heavy green in order to produce all the desired colors but without acceleration, I'm still looking at a turn five giant monster and often that just isn't enough.

So it will be good to take this to the table and see what comes of that experience. If I lose, I can say the monsters were capricious. Hell, I can say that if I win, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment