Thursday, October 21, 2021

That Promised Completion


I like giant dinosaurs. That's really what it comes down to. It's a weakness. I just can't cut all of the Regisaurs. 

Plus, in games against Matt & Caitlin without the big lugs, I had trouble closing things out. To my credit, I did win through close to 9 board sweeping spells thanks to a lot of patience. The glories of multiplayer is that I can have nothing on the board and my opponent can require the Akroma's Vengeance

So, the Rotting Regisaurs are back in but! Only as a twofer. In the place of other cards, however...Dauthi Voidwalker. It's got stats appropriate to this aggressive build, it's very hard to block, and it has a sometimes-relevant ability. 

I did get to test this out and it seemed decent. Difficult things to block are difficult and the boost from Bad Moon is pretty awesome for the Voidwalker. 

Drana easily met the Hexdrinker rule and I wasn't unhappy to have copies in hand while one was on the table. One card I was surprised at was Bladebrand, which  helped turn what my opponent thought were good blocks for them to better blocks for me. In controlling matchups, I would side it out but as a compliment to what Infernal Touch does, not bad!

4 Hand of Cruelty
4 Dread Wanderer
3 Skulking Ghost
4 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Gurmag Swiftwing
4 Banehound
2 Rotting Regisaur
2 Dauthi Voidwalker

4 Bad Moon

3 Bladebrand
4 Infernal Grasp

1 Polluted Mire
16 Swamp
2 Piranha Marsh

3 Unearth

Sideboard

3 Tsabo's Web
4 Dunerider Outlaw
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Hymn to Tourach

The sideboard is probably a little 'oh sure' and a little 'wait, what?' Dunerider Outlaw was part of the initial deck and I've added it to help against some of the green creature decks I confront. That's a flex slot for certain and I can see more removal for things like Planeswalkers or maybe a card like Rotten Reunion for more graveyard-specific matchups. 

Tsabo's Web however, is a card that I think isn't getting the attention it deserves. In a field full of Urza's Sagas, Thespian's Stage, and Maze of Ith (a card I am having to deal with a lot, lately), Tsabo's Web shuts these things off. Since the Web is also a cantrip, it can keep the momentum of Fatalist going instead of feeling like you're taking a turn off to slow your opponent and do little else. Tsabo's Web might not shut a deck out but it might slow them down enough to get in the last few points of damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment