Thursday, July 7, 2022

Skip To The Middle

It takes Pleasant Kenobi awhile to get to the point in a recent video.

However, when he does I have to say, I like it. WotC has been great at coming up with interesting, complex worlds and every time they do so, the story they are trying to tell gets crammed in there. That is a lot to try and get out of a single set.

This is weird, because it's coming at a time when Wizards is producing more content than ever.

I would even say "too much". The time we as players have gotten to spend on places like Ravnica, Mirrodin or Innisitrad the first time we were there helped cement those places as places we were interested in. Heck, I'd even argue that people would not have been as interested in Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty if we hadn't spent all the time on original Kamigawa, getting so much lore. 

I love Kaldheim, but I don't actually know anything about it. By way of contrast, I don't really care about Amonkhet but I know how that story ended and I can see where picking up again at that plane might offer some incredibly cool things! There are people wandering the desert after their god has abandoned them and if you can't see the potential in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

So I think the two block set structure would be a good thing to return to. They don't even have to be mechanically tied together-that's what your story is for! And it isn't as if Magic sets aren't doing year long ties anyway-we've just come off an extended period of Double-Faced cards in sets spanning multiple planes. 

Don't tell me it can't be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment