Thursday, July 28, 2022

Skullbriar: Removals and Additions

Here's what I'm going to axe:

Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (I don't like this card at all in anything)
Thought Vessel 
Dread Summons
Eater of Hope
Champion of Stray Souls (maybe)
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Viridian Zealot
Primal Growth
High Market
Centaur Vinecrasher (maybe)
Mulch
Grim Backwoods

That's seven, possibly eight cards that I don't like. I'm also uncertain about Terastodon, since between green and black, any permanent type can be eliminated.  Checking out the build at EDHrec, and there are some goodies. 

Now, in Skullbriar there seem to be three overall themes; Graveyard recursion, Tokens, and +1 counters. I've decided to cut the recursion elements to give me more tokens and supplement the +1 counters. 

The initial games I've played have been fine though. I haven't hated this build but I also haven't been as enamored with it either. I definitely appreciate being able to have a turn two play that is relevant: casting Skullbriar on turn two can definitely put the screws to opponents. Plus, there are plenty of very powerful cards that boost the deck, but with a de-emphasis on the graveyard recursion aspect, I think the cuts I'm making are sensible. 

What I'm left with asking is: what does Skullbriar want or need now that I've whittled away 11ish cards I don't like?

My considerations:

Inspiring Call
Silkguard
Find/Finality
Casualties of War
Trailblazer's Boots
Phyrexian Scriptures
Bonder's Enclave
Thundering Mightmare
Reyhan, Last of the Azban
Necropolis Regent
Grakmaw, Skyclave Ravager
Drana, Liberator of Malakir
The Ozolith
Dig Up
Assassin's Trophy
Steelbane Hydra
Pine Barrens

Some of these cards, like Pine Barrens, are easy picks-lands usually are. Trailblazer's Boots is one that I'm wondering if it should be auto-included in every Commander deck. The rest I want to be careful about, because I don't want to go all in on cards like Inspiring Call or Silkguard and find myself unable to deal with enchantments or be mana screwed because I cut Mulch. 



No comments:

Post a Comment