Tuesday, August 16, 2022

"...Just trying to figure it out"

In the last month and a half, two people who I play with have gotten COVID. They are both fine, which is the good news. I didn't have any direct exposure to them, which is good news too, although that's mostly about me. 

What I have noticed though in the passing weeks is that they are needing a little more time than usual to figure out what their next move should be. 

I know: Magic is a complicated game. My friends are playing complex decks, some of those decks coming out of mothballs for a spin. Decks that are over a decade old-or have cards that go back to the beginning of Magic entirely. 

However, the saying goes 'Once is happenstance. Twice is circumstance. Three times is enemy action'. 

Let me be clear: I am not slamming my pals at all. This isn't about me getting impatient with them needing more time than usual to make a decision in a game that is incredibly difficult. 

But the current CDC guidelines are just....bogusness. 

I get that everyone is tired and I also understand that I live in the era of Mammon. I don't like either of those facts very much but I do accept that they are true. 

What I also understand is two very smart people that I know have been working through various levels of what I suspect is COVID related 'brain fog', and that bothers me a whole lot. These are people who have been vaccinated, and yet there are still real impacts on their lives that have lasted beyond their contagion. 

Now, they both seem to be getting better and have been allowed some time to rest and recover and that's all great! It just isn't the norm for everyone and I wish it was. 

We're trying to play a game together and I would like the opportunity to continue doing so without making anyone sick-including me.


No comments:

Post a Comment