Thursday, August 4, 2022

The Dilemma (Or: Play to Your Outs)

I got a game with Skullbriar in with Noah last weekend that really stuck a point to me. As the game was winding down, Matt showed up, so as the last turn comes up there are three people looking at the situation.

Noah is playing a RUW goad deck, forcing players to attack, punishing them when they attack. He's at close to 40, which actually doesn't matter because I have a 14/14 Mycoloth in play, with eight tokens and a Pathbreaker Ibex, one of the dumbest cards in the deck. 

It's Noah's turn and he doesn't have a way to deal with the oncoming bad times. But what he does have is a Vengeful Ancestor and a flying white creature I cannot remember, but he attacks me down to one life, goading the Pathbreaker Ibex with the Ancestor.

My hand has Victimize, and my graveyard has a Wall of Blossoms. Neither Matt or Noah know my hand or deck but we discuss what my options are. After a lively bit of chatter, things are boiled down. 

My options are very simple: I need to gain one life, or I need to be able to destroy Vengeful Ancestor. Once we've established that, I decide to go for my extra draw because it is possible that I win off the right draw! 

But my brain doesn't actually sit with that information. What it knows is that when I attack with the Ibex, I lose. It conveniently dismisses that the only way to win is with Ibex.

So when I play Victimize, I sacrifice the Ibex, to return the Wall of Blossoms and another creature that doesn't kill the Vengeful Ancestor.

Wall of Blossoms draws into Jungle Hollow. A card I knew was in my deck and seemingly played into!

Except I sacrificed the only card that allowed me to win the game.

This was a bit epic, in the worst way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment