Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The Retired: Grotusque

Land destruction is always a messy business. 
 
2 Verduran Emissary

2 Dwarven Blastminer
3 Thresher Beast
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Avalanche Riders
2 Acidic Slime

2 Form of the Dragon

3 Lunge
2 Rhystic Lightning

8 Forest
4 Karplusan Forest
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Slippery Karst
1 Smoldering Crater
8 Mountain

2 Aftershock
2 Creeping Mold
4 Stone Rain
2 Frenzied Tilling
2 Desert Twister
2 Pillage

I named this from the Transformer-what can I say, I have a soft spot for a flying, fire breathing tiger. And to past mes credit, the idea behind this deck is to use Form of the Dragon to finish the game off, after blowing up opposing lands so they just have to sit there. 

Couple problems here; first, I was a cheapskate and didn't want to purchase a third copy of Form, a card this deck 100% needs. 

Second: land destruction starts at mana value 3, and these days you mostly find those effects at 4. If there isn't a way to reset the game after blowing up opponent's lands-to deal with what they've put into play before I start to turn the corner-then I'm in trouble. And guess what: Rhystic Lightning is not the answer I need.

Third: it's clear I haven't looked at this deck since 2003 and Magic strategy and card development has shifted immensely since then. The concepts behind this deck are out of the colors it's in (Lands does a mana denial thing and it's G/W), and almost old enough to drink. 

So I'm going to let this drift away. I don't even think there's a deck that needs some of these cards -but if I decide to do a land destruction deck again, it's going to be significantly tighter than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment