Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Distractions

After testing these two decks against each other, the one that had obvious problems is the one I took interest in. That was the Mavinda deck. 

For a few days, that's what I worked on. Trying to find the key to unlocking the combo-like potential of this deck. I got some advice from a buddy, had some tweaks to make, like adding in Abeyance or Charge Through

Then another friend dismantled the GW deck with a solid mono-W tokens build. That is when it struck me: if I cannot get past a basic, solid concept then is it really worth putting energy towards this? Building an entire deck, sleeving it up, only to slam my head against decks that are just stronger? 

Is that how I want to spend my time?

I decided that no, it wasn't. There's a reason I am starting to prototype decks and this is it! So I don't find myself overwhelmed with decks I don't even want to play. 

That BR deck though, that had some legs. Yes, it's absolutely using some Scam architecture but so what? Great artists steal*.

*I am not a great artist.

So I built it in paper, sans Grief but using Blood Scrivener and with Molten Collapse instead of Terminate because they were right there in the binder near the Stalactite Stalkers. I still need the Raucous Theaters, but I can give it a whirl. 

I got a couple matches against Caitlin, won one, lost one, and she took a look at the deck. 

"The tokens from the Raven Man aren't that strong; if you want to use that ability, maybe you should partner it with Green or White, to buff them."

And a lightbulb went off. There's already a good tokens deck using white & black. 

So I sketched out a new deck.

4 Staff of the Storyteller

3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
3 The Raven Man
3 Adeline, Resplendent Cathar
3 Timeless Dragon
2 Undead Gladiator
3 Devouring Sugarmaw // Have for Dinner

4 Intangible Virtue
2 Bastion of Remembrance

3 Bitter Triumph

10 Swamp
12 Plains

4 Lingering Souls
4 Hymn to Tourach

No, I am not going to start playing this deck-yet. It's a protoype too, and I want to actually finish what I start. For now, this means the RB deck, and that deck needs possibly two things:

Carnage Interpreter, and a name.



No comments:

Post a Comment