Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Is There A Ghost

This should be an interesting bit of fun. First, the deck, title taken from Band of Horses (the video is something I also dig on.)

2 Shining Shoal
2 Unchecked Growth
4 Crib Swap
2 Worldly Tutor

3 Forked-Branch Garami
4 Loam Dweller
3 Kodama of the South Tree
2 Suture Spirit
3 Changeling Titan
4 Chameleon Colossus
4 Elder Pine of Jukai
2 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Oversoul of Dusk

3 Sungrass Prairie
7 Plains
9 Forest
 2 Elfhame Palace
1 Mosswort Bridge

2 Terashi's Grasp


A deck wanting to use the Soulshift mechanic, this original list went from that, to -1 Oversoul of Dusk, -1 Changeling Titan +1 Avenger of Zendikar and +1 Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer. Here's why: the combo between Loam Dweller and Elder Pine of Jukai meant that I always had more lands than I knew what to do with. Avenger and Molimo meant that I could cast some real problems for my opponents.

This lead to the addition of the Worldly Tutors, because as great as this deck can be at getting lands out, it tends to overlook creatures and I don't win the game with lands, I win with creatures. Since there are two very frightening creatures, the Tutors allow me to bring them up when I want them.

But then Innistrad happened and in the spoiler at mtgsalvation there was the worst-named card in the set. In the comments, someone even wrote 'Isn't this just soulshift?'

It still took me two months to get around to this deck. What can I say? I've been busy. 

However, now there's an opportunity for the whole deck to change. So now there's - Avenger and Molimo and +2 Angel of Flight Alabaster. The question is; now that I've opened the box up to change it, what else needs to be fixed? Are cards like Worldly Tutor still useful, now that the most terrifying creatures in the deck are gone? Are manlands an appropriate threat for this deck? We shall soon see.

No comments:

Post a Comment