Thursday, February 2, 2012

Commander-Rhys the Redeemed

I don't give names to my Commander decks, mostly because they are pretty easy to identify by the Commander him/her self. I did think, though, that it might be a nice time to try some newish formatting to make a decklist of this size easier to deal with. If it sucks, let me know and I see what I can do to make it better.

Commander: Rhys the Redeemed


1 Doubling Season
1 Elephant Guide
1 Intangible Virtue
1 Muraganda Petroglyphs
1 Beastmaster Ascension
1 Soul Echo
1 Leyline of the Meek
1 Overwhelming Instinct
1 Parallel Lives
1 Pacifism
1 Entangling Vines
1 Squirrel Nest
1 Spidersilk Armor
1 Asceticism
1 Sigil Blessing
1 Seeds of Strength
1 Aura Mutation
1 Gallantry
1 Debt of Loyalty
1 To Arms!
1 Judge Unworthy
1 Sundering Vitae
1 Naturalize
1 Ferocious Charge
1 Acorn Harvest
1 Kirtar's Wrath
1 Parallel Evolution
1 Hour of Reckoning
1 Superior Numbers
1 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Collective Unconscious
1 Storm Herd
1 Creeping Mold
1 Overrun
1 Alliance of Arms
1 Cleansing Meditation
1 Purify
1 Nomads' Assembly
1 Search for Tomorrow
1 Squall Line
1 Chatter of the Squirrel
1 Bestial Menace
1 Grizzly Fate
1 New Frontiers


1 Blinding Angel
1 Twilight Drover
1 Blazing Archon
1 Quirion Elves
1 Nut Collector
1 Genesis
1 Penumbra Spider
1 Symbiotic Wurm
1 Stag Beetle
1 Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
1 Glissa Sunseeker
1 Mongrel Pack
1 Caller of the Claw
1 Essence Warden
1 Caustic Wasps
1 Verdant Force
1 Nantuko Vigilante
1 Sigil Captain

1 Elfhame Palace
1 Saltcrusted Steppe
1 Hickory Woodlot
1 Remote Farm
1 Dust Bowl
1 Krosan Verge
16 Plains
15 Forest
1 Sol Ring


So what we have here is a token generating deck. I can't say that I did anything particularly genre defining as a deckbuilder in this situation but I suppose I ought to explain some of my philosophy behind building Commander decks, in order to answer some possible questions about why I make the choices I do.

Because I've been playing for so long, Commander is a chance to bring out cards I only got one copy of because they were so expensive/not interesting/didn't fit into anything else. I wanted to play them but I just couldn't find a slot and then time moved on. Commander, because it's so crazy, because there really is an 'anything goes as long as it's fun' attitude which overrides the 'cool and win' attitude or just 'win' vibe, means I can make weird or suboptimal choices because why not?

That said, with Dark Ascension coming out and white tokens clearly being a theme run on from Innistrad, it's a good time to revisit this deck and see if I can tweak it for the better while still keeping my 'fuck it, why not?' philosophy going.

No comments:

Post a Comment