Thursday, May 9, 2013

Modern Nightmare Redux

The cat pissed on my iPad. This lead to a situation last night, where, after letting the iPad sit in rice for 24 hours, I had to leave it plugged in overnight to see if the machine would power up and if the Home button would work. Signs were pointing to No but research suggested this might fix the problem.

A Limbo state existed, where both possibilities were true: Schrodinger's iPad, if you will. And this Limbo did nothing but make me anxious. I can't afford another iPad but at the same time: I need it in order to blog. I slept poorly.

Which leads me to this, which is what I'm going to run on Saturday:
6 Swamp
4 Fetid Heath
7 Plains
2 Bojuka Bog
4 Godless Shrine

2 Mortify
3 Unmake
3 Zealous Persecution

4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Nip Gwyllion
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Deathbringer Liege
3 Stillmoon Cavalier
2 Tithe Drinker

4 Edge of the Divinity

3 Duress
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
And the reason I'm running this deck is because I feel my sideboard options are stronger than my GB deck.

4 Castigate-for control matchups, more discard is better.
3 Sudden Spoiling-vs aggro matches I can shut down the offense for a turn, block the worst offenders and give myself time
4 Oblivion Ring-against Tron and Jund these should be helpful planeswalker removal
4 Suppression Field-this is the big questionmark

Suppression Field seems like it would be helpful against Pod, Jund and Karn-based Tron decks. I know Tron will be there. However, I've been playing against a lot of RUW control decks and some RU Splinter Twin and Torpor Orb does a number on them, whilst also being good vs Pod decks. 

I don't have a proper answer and I've run out of time to reasonably test. Experts are saying that cards like Blood Moon and Stony Silence don't really matter vs. Tron because those cards dilute the deck (and I think we know how opposed to dilution I am) leaving the Tron deck with enough time to win. All I can think of at this point is that if Deathbringer Liege is allowed to resolve, then every spell I play kills all the creatures and I can win.

That's a big if.

So now I wait to see if this is going to work out, a state of working and not working, where I get no data to tell me anything. Schrodinger's Deck. It's leaving me anxious and I think this leaves me with two appropriate options: have a beer or go walking. I'm going to walk for now, as that always gives me good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment