Thursday, May 21, 2015

Monster Man

Sometimes, man...I don't even know if I know what I'm doing.
2 Nekrataal
1 Yavimaya Ants
1 Eternal Witness
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Acidic Slime
3 Fauna Shaman
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Spirit of the Night
4 Wall of Roots
1 Avatar of Woe
2 Spike Feeder
2 Ravenous Rats
1 Deranged Hermit
1 Carrion Beetles
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Pelakka Wurm
1 Vengevine
2 Elvish Visionary
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
1 Black Cat
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Eidolon of Blossoms
2 Satyr Wayfinder

3 Recurring Nightmare
9 Forest
4 Bayou
9 Swamp

Readers who have been playing for a long time (or are way into Magic's history) might recognize the shell of a Rec-Sur deck which I built back in the day and never let go of. Even when Survival of the Fittest was banned in Legacy, I held onto the deck. It wasn't long-hell, there may not have even been a gap- before Fauna Shaman was printed, so I just swapped out the cards and 'ta-da!', Legacy legal deck again.

It's time to take this deck to the shop and build it up. When I pulled it out, the first thing I did was replace a Yavimaya Elder for a Satyr Wayfinder. Doing some goldfishing I recently had a turn two Wayfinder, followed by a turn three Recurring Nightmare which I used immediately to bring a Sheoldred, Whispering One that had been put into the graveyard with the Wayfinder.

So I may have to up the Wayfinders to four because holy crap, plays like that are insane. Also, I can see that this deck may be suffering from too few land; but better lists than mine are running as few as 18. It also may be worth looking into some different creatures but I'm reluctant to bring in too many creatures that are 'off color'. When I built this deck, I was afraid of having a hand full of white creatures and lands that only produced green or black. I also still want to have a game to play if Recurring Nightmare doesn't appear and I don't want to get stuck with a card like Squee in my hand because I can't find a Fauna Shaman. Some testing ought to help illuminate some valuable plays and perhaps other friends will have input. I'm looking forward to it. 

Finally, I took the name of this deck from the Soul Coughing song.

No comments:

Post a Comment