Thursday, May 3, 2018

Fix My Problems

"It's good, it just isn't coming together," Caitlin tells me after an evening of games.

So I have come to one of the most frustrating parts of the tweaking process: I have a solid idea, it works...sometimes. People agree that I'm on to something but nobody knows what to do next.

It's frustrating because I keep losing right on the edge of doing something good. I'm almost there, I just can't quite stitch it up.

I played an untuned Planeswalker deck last week and lost, despite being able to draw cards and make the game go long. Both of these things should work in my favor but I never had the combo.

So perhaps I need to look at that. Cast Out was the obvious card to set aside. While I like what it does, it's probably better as a sideboard card here, because what I need are ways to get the card that the board state is demanding, sometimes Oversold Cemetery, sometimes Oriss, or Linessa.

It's daunting because as a general rule, I'm drawing more cards than my opponent(s). I just can't seem to turn that into an advantage. Which is just insane, right? Drawing more cards is precisely the kind of thing that should lead to advantages that overwhelm my opponent. But I seem to have too many moving parts to just rely on card draw, so that leaves outright search.

Well, Hour of Devastation has me covered: Razaketh's Rite. Let's see what we got.

No comments:

Post a Comment