Thursday, April 4, 2019

I'm Out To Get You

"So...it's a War Elemental deck," I tell Noah.

"It sure is."

"And that's the problem. You can just chump block it, no matter how big it gets."

"Well...maybe there's a way around that."

We Bite vs Mono g
"In red there aren't many effects that give me trample, so I'm not...wait a minute."

Archetype of Aggression.

So there it is! A problem solved, right?

Weeeeellllllll...

First, Archetype isn't always useful whenever it shows up. That's a challenge, because again, as a less optimized deck, I can't really afford to add in cards that are only good occasionally.

Second, it's a creature and as such, to be really good it needs either a protective aspect to it, or an aggressive one, because otherwise it exists to be killed by removal. Archetype has neither haste, protection, or defensive stats that would keep it alive.

It was Caitlin who suggested Whispersilk Cloak to me.

The first time I rode a Stigma Lasher equipped with a Cloak to victory, I knew I had a winner. However, I cannot leave good enough alone, and after a few games with Noah-ones where I had either War Elemental or Hazoret in hand and no way to make them useful-he suggested Key To The City to me. Why not, right? It feeds into the Madness themes, it makes a creature unblockable and I can use any extra mana I have to draw cards.

Two problems quickly became apparent: First, 'extra mana' is a laughable concept in a deck using Fireblast. Every turn that We Bite is functioning even reasonably close to optimal, I'm using up all my mana on everything else to forward my gameplan of damaging my opponent to death.

Second: unblockability is not as useful as shroud. War Elemental and, as it turns out, Stromkirk Occultist, present serious threats when they cannot be targeted by removal. So Whispersilk Cloak gets the nod.

The other option would be Swiftfoot Boots, which I think I'll test next, to see if haste and the reduced mana cost help. While not making things unblockable, haste is a pretty sweet ability and the reduced cost might be very important in a deck that is so tight on mana use.




No comments:

Post a Comment