Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Estrid, Aggro?

"I don't think you're using Estrid aggressively enough," Fuz told me after a few matches.

He hadn't brought any decks with him, so he was playing some of my Commander decks. It can be a little strange seeing a deck I built come at me. Kitchen table Magic decks are often so personalized that handing one over to someone else looks odd, at first. But it's a great way to see a deck from a unique perspective!

That aside, it seems he's right. I think that getting Estrid out and using the ultimate should be done every time I cast that card, as quickly as I can. Mana frequently isn't an issue, especially now that I've upped the Auras that enchant lands to make mana.

I've also realized that I cannot really make this deck without adding Hall of Heliod's Generosity, Skull of Orm and, possibly most importantly, Sphere of Safety. The first two cards should have obvious applications, but only one of them existed at the time of Estrid's printing. Why wasn't the Skull in the deck instead of Sol Ring?

The last card... OK, I can understand why Sphere of Safety isn't in the deck. Propaganda or Ghostly Prison, should probably have made it but Sphere of Safety is an oppressive card in this deck and I can't wait to shut down attacking decks with it.

Still, I've been complaining in multiple games that the deck is just boring, and the new cards just haven't changed that.

"What about Helix Pinnacle?" Matt asked me.

Hmmmmm.

What about Helix Pinnacle?

These came out:
Nylea's Colossus
Dictate of Heliod
Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle
Starfield Mystic

And these went in:
Helix Pinnacle
Sphere of Safety
Vastwood Zendikon
Bounty of the Luxa

More defense and more mana. Plus, the Zendikons do two things for me: increase creature density as needed, and let me tap the land for mana, then untap it with Estrid's first ability to create more mana.

Bounty of the Luxa seems like some neat tech; a little extra card draw, a little extra mana. Sure, there's some bookkeeping involved but one thing I like about the card is that it feels harmless and thus is the kind of effect that will fly under the radar of opponents. That is the sort of card that will help keep me in games.

Now I've got something to look forward to: A proactive strategy and a unique win condition!

No comments:

Post a Comment