Thursday, August 1, 2019

Estrid's First Outings

Estrid vs Arahbo Commander
The goings have been rough.

I played against a tuned enchantment themed deck-running Tuvasa of all things as the commander and had the combo of Calming Verse and Enchanted Evening.

Having one's permanents destroyed is a less than optimal way to lose the game, but it is a guaranteed way to do so.

That happened twice.

Matt played his Jorael, Empress of Beasts deck and I lost to that. Lynn played a tuned Lord Windgrace deck-which I also lost to in a grinding brutal fashion; once again my mana base was savaged.

Even games I won with Estrid felt more like games where my opponent got unlucky, not games where I successfully executed a strategy. Game after game, I either could do all the things, but never feeling like they mattered, or I was stuck doing nothing at all.

The upsides: the totem mask from Estrid was almost always meaningful, when I got it out. I didn't feel color screwed, despite the deck having an emphasis on green. The obvious include of Winds of Rath is in the deck that should have it. And there are some directions to go in and explore.

So I'm trying to be hopeful about what could be done here. I'm not just a little tired of these decks, however; the going nowhere aspect. Yes, I get that the idea is that now you can really customize them, but the commander decks of the past felt like you could play them out of the box and they had some identity. These continually feel like amorphous blobs that I have to mold.

Why would I bother with that, when I can just build a deck of my own?


No comments:

Post a Comment