Tuesday, March 24, 2020

It's Just A Thing We Like

It wasn't until Tyler saw Ready to Die that a "Eureka" moment hit.

"What about Tilonalli's Summoner?"

Ready to Die gets the Overrun off
For obvious reasons, I had been focused on non-creature ways to make tokens. Mirari's usefulness declines with every creature I play. But this is a pretty solid add, I think, at least as just a couple cards. It'll be useful at any stage of the game, by itself or with an Impact Tremors out. It might give me another win condition, in the same way Fresh Meat would-and it would combo well with Fresh Meat, should I use the mana wisely.

Unfortunately, things haven't been playing out as kindly.The trouble with Tilonalli's Summoner is twofold: first it represents a huge target for removal. This is the opposite of all my other creatures: they don't matter, so your removal is all dumb. But with the Summoner taking a spotlight, now there is a focus.

Which wouldn't be a huge problem except for the second thing: There isn't a backup to the Summoner. I've put eggs in a basket that has a bottom that's too thin, and when it breaks I am finding myself without enough pressure to make a convincing game come together.

I got to spend time playing this deck last weekend and it honestly gave me so many issues. I'm just realizing it now, but there is another problem with the Summoner and it's one of the hidden cost of playing it.

Mirari effectively gives all my spells kicker. The Summoner does the same thing when it attacks. But both of them are asking for me to use all of my mana, every time. There is no point in attacking with the Summoner and holding mana back so I can cast a Dragon Fodder, right? Similarly, there's no point in attacking with the Summoner if I can't make creatures, because I want to cast Dragon Fodder and copy it with Mirari.

And because the theme of the deck centers around being able to use Mirari, I need to hold to the theme, and let the Summoner go. This opens up some space-but where do I go with that space?

When in doubt, always look for cards that say 'draw a card'. There are some intriguing possibilities here, including Lace with Moonglove, Ignorant Bliss, and Merchant of the Vale. Lace With Moonglove is probably my best option, since it can be used offensively and defensively and copying that spell seems like all upside. I'd definitely like to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment