Thursday, June 25, 2020

Bad Blackblade, No Donut

(Note: these games were played before Ikoria came out, or I even knew cycling would be a mechanic in that set.)

The initial games went about as well as I figured they would.

There was the game where I had Living Death put into the graveyard via Wheel of Fortune. There goes my win condition!

There was the game where the creatures in my graveyard started getting eaten. There goes my win condition!

These are not very good signs.

There's something uniquely frustrating about those first games, it seems. Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect, with what seems like bad luck but is also inexperience, inattentiveness, and having to live with the bad decisions of past me-be they in the deckbuild or mere moments ago.

And it is born entirely out of the notion that this SHOULD work, it just DOESN'T. Of course, navigating that is also important to detaching myself enough to really make the fixes that this deck needs to be fun to play.

So the first thing I did was go through the deck and yank every non-cycling card. Then I went to the Ahmonket block and pulled every relevant card I could.

Out:
Resurrection
Sever Soul
Disenchant
Excise
Misdirection
Sky Weaver
Punish Ignorance
Mindleech Mass
Steal Strength
Brass Secretary
Brilliant Ultimatum
Thistledown Liege
Braidwood Sextant
Memory Plunder

Maybe pull:
Dust to Dust
Energy Flux
Stormscape Familiar
Forced March
Stormscape Battlemage
Dromar, the Banisher
Dromar's Charm
Batwing Brume
Esper Charm
Unmake
Seal of Cleansing
Feldon's Cane
Incremental Blight

Probably keeping:
Obelisk of Esper
Armillary Sphere
Moonlit Wake
Ensnare
Call to Mind

To add:
Mortal Combat (thanks to Tyler for the suggestion)
Tribute Mage (to find Fluxuator)
Winged Shepherd
Oketra's Attendant
Forsake the Worldly
Cast Out
Angel of the God-Pharaoh
Vile Manifestation
Razaketh's Rite
Lurching Rotbeast
Striped Riverwinder
Wasteland Scorpion
Wander in Death
Stir the Sands
Horror of the Broken Lands
Faith of the Devoted
Shimmerscale Drake
Lay Claim
Hieroglyphic Illumination
Drake Haven
Curator of Mysteries

Of these, only Faith of the Devoted and Drake Haven both have the potential to augment my cycling cards but cannot cycle.

Of the maybe keeps, I'm holding on to Batwing Brume, Incremental Blight, Dromar,the Banisher, Feldon's Cane and Forced March.

That should represent a pretty big shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment