Tuesday, October 5, 2021

It's Too Late

I'll admit to being drawn to a little bit of weakness here. 

I want to keep the Ghost Hounds. They're unique in Black's card history and cutting them would be a bit too close to cutting the soul of the deck. But I have to. 

Aside from that, however: Hymn to Tourach seems out of place for an aggro deck, and Dread Wanderer looks like a much better fit. Hymn might be a reasonable sideboard option against combo decks but for now I want to focus on the initial plan.

I'm going to add Eliminate as well to rid the game of early permanents and while I want to keep the Smolder Initiates because the chip damage might still be a thing...that is just the wrong mentality to have. Again, I am drawn to the weaker elements in this deck. 

The spice in the deck, of course, is Dross Harvester...but the card is 18 years old and there are better three drops for black, now. 

The other thing I'm considering is dropping Dark Ritual. There are two ways to go with Stompy decks: be faster than them, or be bigger in less time. That is: haste creatures are useful or oversized creatures for cheap are good-but Dark Ritual doesn't play into either plan very well.  

That is: my resources are thin enough already and it is better to make opponents answer my creatures than to draw a Dark Ritual on turn three when my hand is burnt out anyway. 

There's a lot of changes to consider! More than I'd thought about. On the other hand, sharpening this into something that actually does what I intend is a good thing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment