Thursday, October 28, 2021

This Bad Check Is Gonna Stick

This is the pivot from Golden Blunders. It's largely based off the Modern deck using Glimpse of Tomorrow, but I trimmed a color for consistency's sake and so I wouldn't have to bother with the Omnath, Locus of Creation nonsense. 

Instead, it's an Omnath, Locus of Rage nonsense deck that I'm going to call This Bad Check Is Gonna Stick

For those who do not know the combo: Play permanents and generate token artifacts, then launch off a Cascade spell. Play Glimpse of Tomorrow for free, shuffle all your permanents and then floop as many awesome things into play as you can. 

Another restriction I had to deal with was that my Chancellor of the Forges are in my giants deck. I won't lie to you; that one hurts. The opportunity to have something out on turn one is relevant and the alternative win condition of hasty goblins is a way to pull wins from losses-that I now don't have. Finally, Seasoned Pyromancer is a $40 card and I just wasn't going to do that to myself. 

But could I interest you in a Whirlpool Warrior

That's right: the only card that really breaks this deck out of Modern legality is Whirlpool Warrior but when was the last time you saw that card in any deck? I almost need to keep it out of spite. 

My solution to not having a Chancellor of the Forge was to lean into the Elemental aspect, and my delight at finding Scampering Scorcher meant that this deck miiiiiight just have legs! Most of my creatures are Elementals, and OLoR makes elemental tokens. Plus, the Scorcher makes tokens of its own, which means if I can play Glimpse again, I have more permanents to floop.

Finally, there's the possibility that I'll get an End-Raze Forerunners and hit for 7+. That's cool too.

Now the nice thing about this deck is that all the work I did to get the mana base to function for Golden Blunders means that This Bad Check Is Gonna Stick will (mostly) function. It also means there's a non-bo with Abundant Growth and the Cascade spells. In goldfishing, this interaction has been mitigated by Abundant Growth's cantrip effect and being a permanent that most decks don't have interaction with. More permanents for the floop!

So here we go:

3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
2 Foundation Breaker
4 Shardless Agent
3 Wavesifter
2 End-Raze Forerunners
2 Fury
4 Tireless Provisioner
3 Scampering Scorcher
1 Whirlpool Warrior
2 Omnath, Locus of Rage

3 Abundant Growth

4 Violent Outburst

7 Forest
3 Island
7 Mountain
2 Khalni Garden
2 Tendo Ice Bridge
2 Aether Hub

4 Glimpse of Tomorrow

Sideboard
3 Zendikar's Roil

The reason I'm calling this deck This Bad Check... is because it's clearly a hail mary glass cannon deck. A counterspell at the right time makes things pretty bad and the combo isn't accelerated, so the soonest something can happen is turn three. If someone gets rid of an early Tireless Provisioner, that puts a spanner in the works and as with many creature-centric decks, cards like Humility or Torpor Orb can shut the whole deck down. 

When it goes off, though, it's pretty funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment