Thursday, October 14, 2021

Late To The Party: Battle Chasers: Nightwar

This game is a challenging one to review. Battle Chasers is cheap now-I've seen it for sale for $5 and for five bucks, my expectations for a game lower considerably. 

It wasn't buggy and didn't crash my PS4, so the basic requirement for five dollars has been met, as far as I'm concerned. 

However, I bought it for a little more-I think $17?-so does it meet the seventeen dollar standard???

I'd say it did. Battle Chasers has some flaws; a cliched story that wraps up too quickly, with cliched characters that you've seen before. A leveling system that requires you to grind by playing through dungeons you've cleared, which means there are no new surprises. The necessity of having access to the internet to figure out where certain items fit into unlocking places in the story, and at least one instance for me where I used an item for a character that was also required for a story sub boss, and I couldn't get that item ever again. 

Also, I generally hate crafting systems and this was no different. If I have money, why do I have to build anything, ever? That's why you pay blacksmiths!

However, if you've never played a turn-based RPG and would like to give this a try, it's not bad. The artwork is stylized so it doesn't feel generic, there is legitimate strategy in picking your team and choosing their abilities-abilities the game lets you respec at will. That's pretty cool. 

Once you've leveled up enough, battles with lower level enemies become optional, and the fishing game doesn't suck-it's light distraction at best but it doesn't suck!

All in all I didn't hate playing this game but it's definitely on the lighter side. I don't think there's anything seriously inappropriate for a kid either, and it's at that level of complexity. Decent but not great!

No comments:

Post a Comment