Thursday, November 9, 2023

The Lost Caverns of Ixalan-Set Review

Of course we lead with a link to the spoiler list that we can all read.

I want to start this off with brief look at mechanics and an example of making something harder than it ought to be. 

We have in the same set, Descended, Descend 4/8 and Fathomless Descent. 

All of these things do different stuff and yet use the same root word because that stuff is also similar. 

First, I thought they learned from the Threshold example, where WotC has admitted that it would've been better to have Threshold work like Threshold N, where they list a number and cards care about if you've hit that number or not, instead of tying it to a specific number.  

Why not just have Descend (n)? You can set that number to anything-including X!-and do exactly what they want to do, while still allowing for some flexibility. Plus, you've just reduced your keywords from three to one. 

Worse, they are using different words to do the same thing. Look at Starved Revenant-Descent 8- and Stinging Cave Crawler-Descend 4. 

They can't even get the templating right!

Second, while I understand that making sets thematically cohesive in every way you can matters, it shouldn't come at the expense of clarity. Since Descended is only a triggered state, using that word when you also have Descend in the same set means that you've increased the mental costs for players. 

I'm trying to read spoilers and getting confused. It's irritating because I know they could just write it as a triggered ability. Taking Broodrage Mycoid from the article as an example: At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent entered your graveyard from anywhere, etc etc.

It works exactly the same and it doesn't increase the complications. 

Moving on.

White
I really like the art on Dusk Rose Reliquary. 

Fabrication Foundry is doing something interesting: mana rocks in White are unusual. That it's tied to artifacts makes sense but it's unusual. I was not expecting an artifact subtheme in this set but given the narrative themes, it makes sense. 

What's really interesting to me, so far anyway, is that this might be the first artifact set WotC has done where there isn't a clearly broken artifact. Maybe? The effects are powerful but the costs to Craft is keeping that in check. 

Favorite dinosaur: none. Soaring Sandwing is fine for a common but I don't like the art there. 

Blue
Cogwork Wrestler is a neat card with great art. I like this. Confounding Riddle too, and I have been a fan of effects like Confounding Riddle since I saw Supreme Will

I'm also a fan of Tishana's Tidebender and what it does. Feels a little out of place in Blue-the exile part is very White-but I like the toolkit the card provides.

Favorite dinosaur: you know, for a setting that is supposed to have dinos everywhere, there are remarkably few dinos. I mean. Marauding Brinefang will do but c'mon!

Black
Bloodletter of Aclazotz lets Black get in on the 'double damage' train Red has, and I dig it. Also, I really want to try the Bloodthorn Flail in my Madness deck. This seems very strong. 

This color is the first place where I'm really noticing a difference in the art in regards to setting. A lot more cavernous zones, contrasted with pieces like Synapse Necromage or Malicious Eclipse that are a little silly and a city scene, respectively. 

Favorite dinosaur: Sigh. I guess the Vistage of Dread will do.

Red
Huh. I thought Etali had been corrupted by the Phyrexians, but apparently they're still around to bestow favor upon folks. I'm ok with that!

Inti, Seneschal of the Sun looks like another neat card for a Madness deck. 

Favorite dinosaur: why are the dinosaurs here all so ugly! This sand-brown color is entirely lacking in comparison to their cousins in the original set! So I'm giving this one to Dinotomaton. 

Green
It's hard not to look at Glowcap Lantern and not smile. It's cute! 

While I'm seeing some solid cards here, there's nothing catching my eye that stands out. Even Ghalta seems fine, but hardly mind blowing. 

Favorite dinosaur; Easily the Pathfinding Axejaw. Dino with a headlamp? Hell yes.

Multicolor
Some nice cards here to help build up or around for decks. Kutzil, Malamet Exemplar seems very cool, and Quintorius Kand has an ability I've never seen. Should be good for the brewers!

Artifact
Can't say too much flashy here: the Hunter's Blowgun is a nice blend of function and flavor, and I love Throne of the Grim Captain and The Millennium Calendar. 

Lands
It is great that Cavern of Souls is getting a reprint. I like the caves thematically, and more crittur lands are always fun. Sunken Citadel seems like it could be HUGE, I'm just not sure where, yet. 

And that's it. This set feels fine right? I'm not overly excited about anything here but nothing stands out as being bad or good. The basics are all there; now I just need to see how it plays out. Is Craft really a thing? How much of a pain is the "descent" mechanic to remember? 

Also, I don't get much storyline from these cards, and I feel like that's a missed opportunity. The art is outstanding and really does help separate the inner world of Ixalan from the outer but the only story event I can see happening is a bat god creating eternal night. 

Is that the way it ends? 

Still, good job, let's have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment