Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Ban List

 Sorry everyone-with the winter storms of late, power has gone out and I haven't had a chance to test the final changes to Call My Body Home.

Instead, we have ban list thoughts, because the new ban list has been making all the waves, right? And with good reason; it would appear that they shook up every format excepting Pauper and Commander.   

The only one that really impacts me is the one of Dreadhorde Arcanist, a creature in my Triggerhappy deck.

While an understandable ban, I have to admit that the Arcanist was a key part of they deck, making excluding blue a reasonable decision-on top of a more consistent manabase. 

So what do I do? Arcanist is a unique card in Red-I cannot think of a single card that replicates the effect in that color. 

But this is still an aggressive deck, right? 

Seasoned Pyromancer comes up in the search, and finding ways to draw cards to keep the deck consistent, while also looking for a creature to keep the threat count stable. Along those lines, Mentor of the Meek could help generate card advantage as it will trigger on token generation. However, one of those cards costs $25 and one costs $1.

With 23 instants and 4 sorceries in the deck, Bedlam Reveler doesn't seem like a bad option but... none of these things really give me the reach that I was hoping for.

Brimaz, King of Oreskos is also on the list, as a game ending threat unto itself, while Monastery Swiftspear or Soul-Scar Mage are in aggressive red decks for a reason.

But I do not like this. Again, I don't believe the ban was a bad thing, as Blue cards with 1 CMC seem to be inherently abusable in Legacy (and lots of other formats) and the Arcanist does not exist in a vacuum. But the problem still remains that there aren't replacement effects for it in the color scheme I'm running and that bothers me-mostly because I thought I'd figured this deck out!

Then again: I always like a puzzle, and this can be the deck I mess around with after I'm done testing the headliner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment