Friday, January 14, 2022

Can't Stand It

Sabotage vs BW aggro

(Ed. Sorry this is a day late!)

As a nice coincidence I found Reid Duke playing a version of this deck. He too was using Firestorm as a sideboard card but about fifty minutes in he says he's not thrilled with it so that is probably a change I'll make. 

I do want to take a minute to talk about the sideboard, since I don't often include them. I'd consider taking Sabotage to an event though, so having a sideboard felt like a good decision to flesh out. Reid's video is as good a prompt as any!

It'd be a bad idea to ignore the wisdom of better players, so Firestorm is likely a cut. That video also confirmed the importance of Leyline of the Void. I don't know how anyone builds a Legacy deck without having some kind of graveyard hate, unless they're doing combo.

Big Game Hunter is there for decks that want to use Show and Tell or Sneak Attack to power out a massive creature-your Emrakuls, Griselbrand, even Murktide Regent. Now, that's probably the correct card but I won't lie to you: adding in a Shadowgrange Archfiend really seems awesome. The eight life is a pretty nasty drawback, unfortunately but since it's for a very specific purpose I'll probably try it out.

Blood Moon is also the kind of problem that when it arrives I feel is a card people just scoop to. Since the impact on my deck is minimal I put that in the 'low risk, high return' category.

Pithing Needle is a fine catchall. But since the rest of the sideboard was three Firestorm, should I consider upping the Pithing Needle? 

Or would it be better to have Meltdown, as Sabotage could be locked out by Chalice of the Void, or given fits with Trinisphere? Meltdown also has the benefit of dealing with Urza's Saga tokens and the decks that like to utilize Urza's Saga in general. 

I recognize that there is a metagame component here: while cards like Leyline of the Void and Blood Moon really shouldn't go anywhere, the other slots are ones that offer more flexibility and should be thought of as spots to adapt to whatever decks are in the field. 

For now, I think I'll add in the copies of Meltdown, because of the utility against Urza's Saga and Chalice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment