Thursday, January 6, 2022

Late To The Party: Metro: Exodus

 I recently finished Metro: Exodus (but since it was released in May, I figure it still qualifies as something I'm late to) and...it's good? 

Well. Mostly good. 

There were multiple times in the game where I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing next and that was a drag. This came from the nature of the levels, though: having a hub in a new area and just sending the player out there can be positive, but it also can lead to 'I don't know where I'm supposed to go/how I'm supposed to get there' moments. 

The flipside to that is that I was allowed a lot of freedom to explore areas and discover things before the game might've introduced them-but none of those discoveries were game breaking. That's a pretty clever trick.

The other negative to Metro: Exodus was that there were multiple times when I didn't know where my enemies were. Dying because you don't know what to hide from or defend against feels bad. 

Finally: The load times were brutal. When I can press start, then get up, get a beer, go to the loo, and come back to continue to wait for a game to load up, that is too long. 

However, I kept playing because the gameplay was solid and just as relevant: the story was good. The characters I interacted felt like they mattered, and each of them got a little time to develop. The ending stuck the landing, which I appreciated quite a bit.

The biggest drawback to M:E was the load times and when that's my biggest complaint (valid though it is) I feel like this can still be recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment