Thursday, December 10, 2020

Rough Around The Edges

Screenshot: Chillout Tent vs Big Humans

I had the sophomore album blues with this deck. Great ideas working out! Getting whatever card I needed when I needed it! Never mana flood or screw! Let's focus this deck for even more consistency in round two!

Mmm...not so much. Even though I was able to put up a fight against an aggro deck, it was clear that removal was very important in those matchups-both spot and mass removal but paths to winning were there. So I still had some mojo. No, it wasn't the aggro decks that knocked me off.

It was the countermagic deck, of course, that took me off the high. 

Nothing against countermagic, but the truth is that a mono-W reanimator themed build doesn't have the tools to respond to that axis of play. 

That's a challenge, because versus anything that isn't about countermagic, this deck is a lot of fun. So what do I do? 

Sideboard options are a place to start; Tormod's Crypt is taking space because I don't want to annex my own graveyard, and that's what most of White's options do. The Crypt needs to be there, however, to take away all the graveyard shenanigans people do these days.

Fighting counterspells with countermagic of my own might be a possibility: Mana Tithe, Rebuff the Wicked and Lapse of Certainty are all...there. They aren't great options, but they are options. 

I may have to look at other mono White decks to see what they're using. As luck would have it, a mono White lifegain deck got some play at Coolstuffinc and cards like Daxos, Blessed by Sun or Skyclave Apparition could be good utility cards. But we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment