Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Blend

Quickmix vs Yorion control

The mana sources for Quickmix are right, at least from a percentage view, it's the curve that's troubling. This is relevant because now I have to revamp the creature suite. With lots of turn two plays, some of those turn two plays are actually turn three plays (Expressive Iteration), and all of my creatures at three mana suck.

Plus, there's nothing at the four mana value spot, and at five mana, Dominus of Fealty does not have the impact I want. My next best option seems to be Hypersonic Dragon and I don't hate 4/4 hasted fliers for five but they aren't exciting either.

The other thing I want to do is add in Prismari Commands, as I believe they'll give me a lot of flexibility. That means cutting down on Schismotivate and Electrolyze. Electrolyze isn't so bad, but Schismotivate can represent a whole bunch of damage. I don't want to cut all of them: 7 unblockable damage in a turn can be a huge shift in a game. 

However, before I get to that, there's the issue of seven lands that ETB tapped. That's too many and although two of those lands can enter untapped, the Wandering Fumaroles are just in the wrong deck. Added to Quickmix when I thought this would be a deck that would extend more into the Liege territory, the idea of having a 3/6 land that could flip for six damage seemed great!

But that isn't what this deck wants to do and maybe it never was, so I should adapt accordingly. With the Fumaroles out, Frostboil Snarls can be maxed out, giving me only five lands that enter tapped, with the potential to have merely one land entering tapped. 

In addition, with a focus on the mana curve, it is possible that 25 lands is too many for this deck. All the more reason to find the right slots. If I'm trimming lands, I really want to make sure I can play everything out on time.

My problem has been getting games to close, though. Swinging for 3-5 each turn seems like a winning proposition but my creatures are pretty vulnerable to removal. Since I don't have a great deal of interaction with my opponent's stuff, getting games to close out is important. I believe that might be an issue caused by threat density, which means cutting two lands for something that can win could be huge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment