Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Bulls Roar Loud

Sleeping Giant vs Goblins
Jason was kind enough to knock back a few games with me, playing a mill deck against Sleeping Giant...where he discovered that it's not a good thing to have two Quakebringers in my graveyard while I have a Calamity Bearer out. Eight damage a turn is hard to race, even with him casting Glimpse the Unthinkable in multiples. 

Still, I often felt flooded with cards that I wasn't wanting to play: holding multiple copies of Thundercloud Shaman or Realm-Cloaked Giant seemed wrong.

It was after some extensive games against Noah that we talked about what was happening with Sleeping Giant. Effectively, I was doing my best to get a turn four play online before turn five while also reliably having a turn five board sweep, while also not flooding out on lands. That's a lot, and I was testing a couple copies of Thrill of Possibility to see if they would help. 

Early game, maybe I pitch a Quakebringer to start getting damage from an early Crystalline Giant. Late game, those extra lands become something useful.


Noah had a different take: "Well, why not utilize the lands from Zendikar Rising".

Oh. 

So, this is the part where I remind me that the DFC that have land as one of the two sides are bonkers. That you should acquire them, all of them, whenever you can, because they are incredible enablers for midrange or late game non-control decks to function.

Shatterskull Smashing and Emeria's Call have potential as one ofs, substituting for lands while also being lands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment