Thursday, April 1, 2021

Mountain Flames

 

Sleeping Giant vs Giants
As a funny, Noah played his giant deck against mine.

There is, of course, one problem with all of my removal: it only impacts non-giant creatures. You might imagine how that match went for me.

Still, that wasn't the only deck I played against: turns out that having a lot of mass removal is a pretty good things against most strategies.

But...this dies to Humility. It's hard to be upset about that: most creature oriented decks will die to Humility. 

Despite that, Sleeping Giant put up a good run against that grindy matchup, and I almost pulled it off. Maybe I could've, if I'd played different?  

That said, a card that I wish was doing more than it is is Borderland Behemoth. I hate to say it, but it's just a bomb rare for draft/limited. Because it looks freakin' scary! A card that could be an 8/8 without too much trouble, or worse?!

In reality, however, the war of attrition is such that the Behemoth is most often a 4/4 for seven mana. Opponents have creature removal. One Dark Banishing even a lowly Terror, and the Behemoth is a threat that can be shrugged off.

On the other hand Sunrise Sovereign is a potential "I win" card and costs one less. Even with only one other creature on the table, the cheapest, smallest creatures I have become 5/5s or 5/6s with trample and they get that bonus the turn Sovereign comes into play. Sure, it suffers to removal but what doesn't? Giving my opponents another draw step to find an answer seems like a bad idea and making multiple tramplers is better than having just one. 

The other bonus is that this gives me an extra target for Giant Harbinger. I'm starting to wonder if I've stacked too many board resets and maybe I should trim down. But with two Sunrise Sovereigns in the deck, I definitely want to be able to tutor for one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment