Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Earth Has Burst

When I took Sleeping Giant apart, one thing that shocked me was how many board resets I've got going on. Four Thundercloud Giant, three Disaster Radius, three Phyrexian Rebirth, one Magma Giant and an Earthquake.

Whew. Maybe I ought to scale this back. 

There are still going to be four Realm-Cloaked Giants, but there can also be four Crystalline Giants. Four Quakebringer to give me something to do on turn two, a couple Calamity Bearers and until I figure out what else to do, two Revitalize to gain a little life and draw a card. 

Stone Quarry can be replaced with Wind-Scarred Crag, since gaining a life is going to be useful for a deck like this and otherwise they're functionally the same.

So I begin goldfishing. I really want to keep the Quicksilver Amulets in the deck because it allows me to both cheat costs and flash in a creature. 

However, with all of my global removal spells costing five mana, I realized that I need mana more than I need the Amulets. 

And if I cut those, do Bloodshot Cyclops even belong? Six mana for a 4/4 that needs a turn to go live is definitely old school...but that doesn't make it good. For now, I'm going to up the Revitalize to four and swap in four Boros Signets.     

Normally, a card like Revitalize wouldn't even be under consideration, because it doesn't interact with my opponent's board. This isn't a normal setup though: eight board resets that I can play on turn five (four if I'm lucky), that all provide me with a win condition means I have a lot of creature interaction. Drawing cards and gaining life feels like a reasonable option to give me time and draw through land clumps.


No comments:

Post a Comment