Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Fearless Fall

Sleeping Giant vs Dinos

After going to only 6 mass removal spells, Sleeping Giant felt very different. Suddenly, games felt desperate. Can I get a removal spell in time? became the main question. 

I wasn't doing terribly but I wasn't feeling comfortable anymore; more doubt settled into my plans for the game. 

In the end, I decided that I would work a very slim margin, cutting one Thundercloud Shaman, adding back the fourth Realm-Cloaked Giant and keeping one Emeria's Call

The Call can function as a land, but it also gives me a potential other avenue to victory. It's particularly helpful as a defensive option though, as (and this is weird) there are only two giants in Red/White with reach, and neither of them are great. 

The tests have been good: Thanks to some smart play, I was even able to pull of a victory under a Humility, due to Quakebringer being in the graveyard. Two damage a turn may not be much, but it still represented a clock that I was able to grind a win from.

So I think this deck is in a pretty settled place. With no new giants coming out in Strixhaven, I don't have to worry about something coming along and suddenly upsetting this apple cart. 

4 Boros Signet

4 Chancellor of the Forge
2 Giant Harbinger
3 Thundercloud Shaman
2 Sunrise Sovereign
1 Brion Stoutarm
4 Crystalline Giant
4 Quakebringer
4 Calamity Bearer

4 Revitalize

8 Plains
8 Mountain
4 Ancient Amphitheater
3 Wind-Scarred Crag

4 Realm-Cloaked Giant // Cast Off
1 Emeria's Call // 1 Emeria, Shattered Skyclave





No comments:

Post a Comment