Tuesday, September 7, 2021

It Tastes Like Burning

Inferno vs RB planeswalkers

What I'm discovering is that Inferno doesn't want to play like a typical aggro deck. What I've also experienced is that having a turn one play is important to getting this deck off the ground.

It's a little surprising to learn, after over twenty years of playing Magic but: having a turn one play really puts decks ahead of ones that don't. 

Inferno has been undergoing a few different iterations but finally I just felt that I needed something to do on turn one and after removing Dwarven Grunt, it's back in. Mountainwalk was far more useful than I had thought-especially against any U/R decks that are almost certainly running Steam Vents or Volcanic Island

To my surprise, attacking can become disadvantageous pretty quickly so having the occasional unblockable creature to continue to generate Treasure tokens and keep pressure on is good. I'm also reeeeeeally trying to find a way to add in Universal Automaton but the margins are getting tight.

I've also been trying to learn to play around games where Magda doesn't appear and learning how to utilize my tools. There isn't any card draw in Inferno (yet), so figuring out when to burn a Dwarven Recruiter, just to search for a helpful card is something I'm trying to learn.

One thing that Adventures from the Forgotten Realms did give me was Plundering Barbarian. I'm testing it as a one-of silver bullet. However, if I don't need it, I can still generate a Treasure token, so there's value either way.

In addition, I'm learning to work out when to burn Treasure tokens for mana. Inferno, at least from a bird's eye view, seems really tight on mana-even though there are 27 cards that will produce mana. Choosing when to play a card as a land or save the instant is a mental exercise. 

What I've also found is that the Seven Dwarves, as thematic as they are, just don't do the work I want. If I could consistently have two on the board that would be solid but even then, vanilla 3/3s aren't that exciting and the deck is crowded at that mana value. 

AND, with all of that, I need more ways to make Treasure tokens. Magda could use some jumpstarting! Even if I don't have a Dwarven Recruiter, I can still spin out an Akroma's Memorial and that is usually a lot for an opponent to deal with.  

The trick there is that making Treasure tokens isn't easy-or dwarven, sometimes. Ragavan would be a fine addition-but the monkey costs $70. That's gonna be a no. 

Goldspan Dragon is tempting, but way off the curve. Gadrak the Crown Scourge also tempting but the method it generates Treasures doesn't contribute well to Inferno's game plan, plus the restriction on attacking means it's going to be useless if I bring out something. 

I've been thinking about a dragon as a silver bullet too: Drakuseth, Maw of Flames is definitely a card that could turn games around. But nothing is leaping out yet as a good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment