Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Red Orange Glow

 

Alright, I've been working on Inferno for months. I think I just have to set this one down. 

I love this deck: I think it's a lot of fun and can rebound itself back into games where things are going badly. But I've also taken it as far as I can, without doing some regular testing and play. 

1 Goblin Charbelcher
1 Akroma's Memorial

4 Magda, Brazen Outlaw
4 Dwarven Recruiter
4 Dwarven Bloodboiler
3 Depala, Pilot Exemplar
4 Dwarven Grunt
1 Plundering Barbarian
1 Bogardan Hellkite

4 Spikefield Hazard/4 Spikefield Cave
4 Sejiri Shelter/4 Sejiri Glacier
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Incinerate
2 Sudden Breakthrough

11 Mountain
4 Plateau
4 Sacred Foundry

 Sideboard
4 Pithing Needle
3 Dwarven Miner
1 Platinum Emperion
4 Rest in Peace
3 Red Elemental Blast

The Sideboard is a definite work in progress. The Dwarven Miners seem like a cute trick, until you're blowing up a new land every turn and getting treasure for it. Obviously, it's narrow and probably weak but I'm OK with it. The Platinum Emperion is there because some decks just fold to that card. I have a feeling there are other cards that might fit this bill, but I haven't come across them yet. 

Perhaps not surprising but a bummer for me was that there just wasn't a dragon I could find that I felt would take over the game from the Sideboard.

I did go with Bogardan Hellkite over Torbran, and what this came down to for me was that having a 5/5 flyer with a great ETB ability that I could search up, was stronger than a card that just boosted my damage overall. So far it hasn't come up-the Goblin Charbelcher or Akroma's Memorial plan are still the primary win conditions. But a Hellkite for the midgame? Not bad.

Now, obviously, further tuning would mean that Incinerate would be Lighting Bolt, and it might be worth it to try and find space for a Universal Automaton. For now, though, and with the dwarves printed and available Treasure generators, I'm happy with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment