Thursday, June 8, 2023

Here We Go Again

So, the MTG take on Lord of the Rings is in full swing and the previews are coming in hot. For those of you who are excited about this mashup, yaaaay! I am happy for you. 

But for some reason this just bores me to death

Part of it is the introduction of the Ring Tempting mechanic. Like Exploring the Dungeon, this feels burdensome on the additive side. ANOTHER item you have to keep on you to remember/understand what it does, but isn't a card you can actually play. So I can't just read a card in play and understand what it does: there's now a reference card. Three of them, now-because you know people are going to combine all of these mechanics. One of the more streamlined things about Magic was: reading the card explains the card. 

Now there's a whole rules subset that aren't on the cards anymore. 

Digitally, this probably isn't as much of an issue but I don't care about the digital form of Magic, except as it helps me find an easy way for me to play with friends who don't live in town. After that; this just feels like extra bits of stuff I need to try and play the game-a game that already has more than enough bits.

Then there's the subject itself. The Lord of the Rings was a fine trilogy of films, and the books are foundational to current fantasy literature. I have enjoyed both-the movies more than the books, which tend to meander. But I do not understand the grip it has on popular culture at large. It's fine, even good in places but that's about where it ends. People have improved considerably upon the foundation LotR laid.  

"You don't have to care about that!" is the response.

Right. And I don't. Except. 

There are cards that could make something I'm doing better, or are unique. White countermagic, Blue mana generation, and so on. So I am required to pay some amount of attention to this thing I would like to ignore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment