Thursday, June 15, 2023

Who Can It Be Now (Redux)

So, after a few years (wow, 2014) I have come across Who Can It Be Now again. "Hey," I thought, "let's give this a whirl!"

Let's take another look at the deck. 

3 Defense Grid

3 Penumbra Wurm
2 Nicol Bolas
3 Pathrazer of Ulamog
2 Pelakka Wurm
1 Worldspine Wurm
3 Dragon Tyrant

4 Sneak Attack

4 Seething Song
4 Lotus Petal
2 Pyroclasm

1 Dwarven Ruins
2 Sandstone Needle
3 Forgotten Cave
2 Smoldering Crater
14 Mountain

3 Gamble
3 Reforge the Soul

Well then. I think we can say it's time for a little refresher. 

First; there are too many lands that ETB. Forgotten Cave can be cycled for one mana, but Smoldering Crater? That can just be a Mountain.

Most of the creatures I like! But it's probably time to take a look at creatures that have been printed since 2014...

Oh my.

However, I don't know that creatures are what Who Can It Be Now really needs. It needs card draw, something Red didn't have much of in 2014. It's 2022 though and cards like Thrill of Possibility exist. 

Also, the threats like Dragon Tyrant are 100% glory of cool things. Let's try this:

3 Defense Grid

3 Penumbra Wurm
2 Nicol Bolas
3 Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 Pelakka Wurm
1 Worldspine Wurm
1 Atraxa, Grand Unifier 
4 Sneak Attack

4 Seething Song
4 Thrill of Possibility
2 Cathartic Pyre

1 Dwarven Ruins
2 Sandstone Needle
3 Forgotten Cave
16 Mountain

3 Gamble
3 Into the Fire
4 Strike It Rich

The new goal is to both increase my mana production via Strike It Rich-freeing up Lotus Petal for another deck that might be more appropriate, a Storm or artifact based one-and cycle through my cards a lot faster with Thrill of Possibility and Cathartic Pyre

I also took out Reforge the Soul for Into the Fire. This requires me to be a little savvy about how I play my cards out; saving lands in hand for more draws with Into the Fire is a line of play I need to be aware of. But Into the Fire removes an effect that could help my opponent as much as me, while also giving me the option to cast a Pyroclasm on turn three, if I haven't been able to get my pieces together. 

Finally, I have made room for one Atraxa, Grand Unifier. If she's great in Reanimator builds, maybe she can help close the gap in Sneak Attack builds. 

At least, that's the hope. Red as a color has changed so much in the past eight years that it would be foolish to ignore what's opened up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment