Thursday, July 4, 2013

League Day 2: The Mana

Here's what I've got going into Sunday:

Eaten by Spiders
Wandering Wolf
Grounded
Geist Trappers
Strangleroot Geist
Somberwald Dryad
Hollowhenge Beast
Grizzled Outcasts
Spidery Grasp
Ambush Viper
Moonmist
Bountiful Harvest
Druid's Deliverance
Axebane Guardian
Savage Surge
Harvester of Souls
Essence Harvest
Harrowing Journey
Sightless Ghoul
Morkrut Banshee
Unburial Rites
Walking Corpse
Victim of Night
Liliana's Shade
Daggerdrome Imp

Leap of Faith
Farbog Explorer
Cathedral Sanctifier
Ray of Revelation
Smite the Monstrous
Voiceless Spirit
Oblivion Ring
Guardian Lions
Palisade Giant
Afflicted Deserter
Pyreheart Wolf
Fling
Russet Wolves
Somberwald Vigilante
Uncanny Speed
Searing Spear
Traitorous Instinct

Favorable Winds
Beguiler of Wills
Nephalia Seakite
Artful Dodge
Runic Repetition
Rooftop Storm
Jace's Phantasm
Encrust
Faerie Invaders
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
Index
Vedalken Entrancer
Doorkeeper
Downsize
Inspiration
Bladed Bracers
Angelic Armaments
Heavy Mattock
Ghoulcaller's Bell
Ring of Xathrid

Slitherhead
Izzet Staticaster
Spawn of Rix Maadi
Sluiceway Scorpion

Shimmering Grotto
Evolving Wilds
Rootbound Crag
Rakdos Guildgate
2xPlains
Mountain
Swamp

Filling out a 60 card deck is easy with U/B/G, so long as I am willing to play substandard cards. Doorkeeper is awesome! Jace's Phantasm is not. Then I thought I should go B/G/r because I do have some really good cards there. I just don't have enough to make 60. 

So there's the tension folks: I can play a deck with crappy cards or I can play an illegal deck. 

Except: the mana is there to splash Red. Rootbound Crag and the Guildgate mean that I can start putting in some Red without losing my ability to play Black or Green. The format is a little slower, so it's possible I could weed out the worst Blue, Black and Green cards to make room for even 4 Red ones, without disrupting the whole process. This is a very attractive prospect because it means I can play stronger cards, it just feels insane because there is one experience that I know is coming:

I have red cards and no Mountains. 

This means I'm going to have to take my advice from last time: Make sure I'm confident in my opening hand. So long as I keep that in mind, I should do OK. 

Everyone have a safe 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment