Tuesday, July 23, 2013

League Day 3 results: Misassignment of Role

This is a game I was fortunate enough to go on to win:

That streak of fortune did not follow me through the match, however, nor during the day. I had my worst showing yet: 1-3.

My deck was virtually unchanged: addition of Simic Guildgate and Simic Charm, yet as an inverse from last time when I went 4-0, when I needed creatures I got land. When I needed land, I got creatures. When I needed removal, I got Fuck You.

What went wrong? I believe I did not properly evaluate how fast everyone else's deck would become. Every match I lost, I lost in no small part because I had built a deck that was overly reliant on bombs that show up on turn 5, instead of a deck that could steadily increase the pressure or withstand pressure until I could win.

On the upside, every match I lost, I lost 1-2, so clearly those bombs were good enough to make the matchups a struggle, they just weren't enough to carry me to victories.

Now to add the weakest link, the Dragon's Maze pack, and re-evaluate the entire deck:

Maze sentinel
Haazda snare squad
Hidden strings
Murmuring phantasm
Ubul sar gatekeepers
Fatal fumes
Pilfered plans
Sin collector
Species gorger
Warleaders helix
Armored wolf rider
Flesh/blood
Boros guildgate
Gruul cluestone
Azorius cluestone

No comments:

Post a Comment