Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Commander-Sygg, River Cutthroat

This deck's genesis came from Matt building a budget commander deck. It's goblin tribal and he's been slowly improving it, suggesting that it would be a interesting challenge for me, too. I agreed but then tabled the idea for a few months because I have things to do. Still: I have three Tiny Leaders decks that I don't ever play, maybe I should revamp them into Commander decks. I'm halfway there, right?

So I present, Sygg, River Cutthroat, a tribal zombie commander deck.

1 Dimir Signet
1 Cellar Door
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Dimir Cluestone
1 Door of Destinies

1 Witch's Mist
1 Energy Flux
1 Hissing Miasma
1 Call to the Grave

1 Dimir Guildgate
1 Dismal Backwater
14 Swamp
1 Salt Marsh
12 Island
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Temple of the False God
1 Dimir Aqueduct
1 Rupture Spire
1 Mortuary Mire
1 Skyline Cascade
1 Submerged Boneyard
1 Halimar Depths
1 Scrapskin Drake
1 Ghoulraiser
1 Stitched Drake
1 Unbreathing Horde
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Diregraf Ghoul
1 Lord of the Undead
1 Zombie Outlander
1 Vodalian Zombie
1 Dominating Licid
1 Cemetery Reaper
1 Sangrophage
1 Dimir Doppelganger
1 Lifebane Zombie
1 Cryptoplasm
1 Reef Pirates
1 Black Cat
1 Rotcrown Ghoul
1 Polluted Dead
1 Undead Executioner
1 Drunau Corpse Trawler
1 Lamplighter of Selhoff
1 Soulless One
1 Clone
1 Gempalm Polluter
1 Ghastly Remains
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Noxious Ghoul
1 Withered Wretch
1 Zombie Brute
1 Undead Warchief
1 Nefashu
1 Twisted Abomination
1 Jhessian Zombies
1 Vedalken Ghoul
1 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

1 Agony Warp
1 Gigadrowse
1 Repeal
1 Sudden Spoiling
1 Truth or Tale
1 Perplex
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
1 Catalog
1 Gravepurge
1 Reaping the Graves
1 Read the Bones
1 Fade Away
1 Gruesome Encore
1 Pore Over the Pages
1 Deny Reality
1 Divination


This deck comes in at just under $50 US, excluding the commander. I feel like that's not a bad number to hit for a budget Commander deck, it's closer to $52 if we include Sygg but again: not bad.

Sygg is just there, however, to facilitate the sweet zombie swarms.

The most expensive card in the deck, unsurprisingly, is Lord of the Dead. There were recursion cards like Vorath's Stronghold that I would have liked to put in because thematically they would make sense, but the expense couldn't be justified.

I'm also not sure I'm utilizing Blue to the best of my ability: in a budget zombie deck, is using a card like Read the Bones, which eats at my life total, the best card? I certainly have more options for card draw.

Still, I feel like this is a good start and I hope to get some games in soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment