Tuesday, July 21, 2020

On Endings

Well...crap

While I cannot say I am surprised by the news that support for the Transformers TCG is ending, it is still a bummer. I got to meet some new, cool people and the game is a lot of fun. 

However, the pandemic and the United States' collective failure to properly manage that pandemic, almost certainly killed this game. It's very hard to get people excited about playing when there is no way to play in person. 

There's a lot to unpack about the failure to manage the pandemic. One of the people I met through this game, Adam, has said to me "I am glad we live in interesting times, but I wish people didn't have to suffer for it."

And the thing is: we're always living in interesting times. The difference between the pandemic the Obama administration had to deal with-and there were two-and the one the Trump administration is dealing with comes down to how each views governance. 

We hired people (via elections, in this instance) to manage things so we could do other stuff, like play card games. In one instance, those managers did a pretty good job with the pandemic. 

It's a small, silly thing, to want to continue to play games under the circumstances. But that small, silly thing would probably have continued, if we had people who cared about the citizens of this country in charge right now, instead of enhancing their own pockets. 

Still, I'm sorry to see this game go: it really was a fantastic to play and I hope that the people I've met will still play games from time to time.

The online experiences aren't terrible but they also aren't amazing-OCTGN has a real issue with card art being far too small, and almost no one has a proper camera and lighting setup to make paper games visually adequate via an online meeting service. I don't blame Wizards for not having an online platform to play: the game was too new to invest that kind of resources.  

Still, this was a good thing to be a part of. Plus, I still have my "Six Heads" aggro deck to talk about! So that'll happen-I think I've got a pretty good beatstick there.


No comments:

Post a Comment